Getting Error Code 43 on mac? Apple provides their users with one of the simplest operating system MacOS which is known for being user-friendly is also not fully free from the errors as it is also a heavy operating system that is performing many functions and tasks simultaneously. The error code 43 mac is one such error which often comes with an error message such as “The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)”. Even with the reputation of being the most polished Operating System the error code -43 mac can occur sometimes if something had gone wrong with the handling of the file on the disk drive.
The error code 43 on mac is only limited to the OS X El Capitan and OS X 10.2 as reported by the Apple users. The mac error code 43 is known to occur when you are trying to delete any particular file and move it to trash or even when you are trying to move that particular file to a different directory in your system. There might also be another reasons also as to why you can’t delete or move your file in the MacOS such as the file being Locked and so on. So here we will look at the possible causes of the error code 43 and how to fix error code -43 mac?
What causes the error code 43 mac problem?
There can be multiple causes of why you are encountering the error code 43 on mac and knowing them may help you get rid of the problem that you are having with your system while trying to delete or move the file. The following can be the possible reasons for the error code 43 mac can’t delete file.
Use of illegal characters in the file name: In the MacOS there are some so-called illegal characters which is not allowed to be put in the file name by the mac operating system. The illegal character as per the mac OS are @, #, %, ^, $, * and !. So you should avoid using these characters in the naming of the file. Note that the mac OS might not give you the error while you named your file with an illegal character so you might not realise that until get the error code 43 mac problem while trying to delete or move the file in your system.
Non-existent share point of the file: The error code 43 can also occur if the finder cannot access the share point of the particular file which you are trying to perform the operation on. What this means is that there is may be something wrong with the folder in which the file is located as it can be protected.
Partially downloaded file: It might just be the case that the file that you are trying to move or delete is not downloaded fully or paused from the browser or from any other which was used to download the file.
Error code 43 mac issue because of no permission: There can also be the issue that the file which you are trying to perform certain action on requires administrative permission and so you are unable to perform these actions on the file.
Locked file: The file which you are trying to access might just be locked for some purposes so while trying to delete the file you may get the error code 43.
Hard drive problem: Finally, there might be a problem with your hard drive as it can be faulty or some other unknown issue with it. In that case you may want to repair the drive or just perform certain checks to find out what exactly is wrong with the hard drive.
Solutions for the Error Code 43 mac
Now that we have seen all the possible causes of the problem it is important to see what solutions can apply in each particular case to figure out how to fix error code -43 mac problem.
- For those who are getting the error code 43 because of the use of illegal character in the file name just need to change the name of the file replacing the illegal characters in the file name or just removing them as this will fix the error code 43 mac problem.
- If the file which you are trying to delete or move is giving you the mac error code 43 because of the no sharing point problem, just make sure you have the folder in which the file resides have been shared properly with the necessary access to continue deleting or moving the file.
- Also just make sure that if the file needs the administrative permission to delete or move and just log in as the administrator if it does, and if the file is locked make sure to unlock it before performing any deleting and moving action on it.
- If you can’t figure out what is causing the error code 43 mac problem, there is another effective way which can sometimes solve this problem and that is to force quit the finder application which is similar to restarting the windows explorer in the windows PC. To do that just go to Apple menu and click on the force quit option and locate Finder and choose relaunch option this should solve the issue.
- Resetting the PRAM or NVRAM can easily solve the error code 43 as doing this will dump the small memory allocated to access some contents quickly. To do this restart and the at the time of starting of the computer press the Command + Option + P + R keys simultaneously for about 20 seconds during which you should hear the starting up sound three times and the computer will restart this should reset the PRAM and fix the error code 43 mac problem.
- As this problem is also related to the hard drive being corrupt or faulty running the disk utility will also help getting around the error code 43. To use disk utility restart the computer and then press Command + R key until you see Apple logo then select disk utility and continue and then select the drive you want to run disk utility for and click on first aid and continue. This will provide you with some reports about the disk condition, backup your data if there is some problem with your drive then try to repair your drive or replace it if unrepairable and continue.
These solutions along with the causes will definitely help you with the error code 43 mac problem you have been having. To be on the safe side of things just make sure that you have your operating system on regular updates as the updates may fix any bugs with the older versions of the operating system.